I think it is possible - Perhaps...... if it will reproduce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is possible - Perhaps...... if it will reproduce

There's hope. I had a great PB & tomato sandwich today. This one fills the bill for me.... It's an F5 - if it will only reproduce. Extremely healthy plant. Great taste..... like a real summer tomato (although I can't truly compare since it's been months.) However, any possible deficiency in flavor I may have forgotten about is made up for by the fact that it is January and the ground outside is frozen solid. This one was 3' in diameter and weighed 4.5 ounces. The plant is truly loaded. Fingers crossed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	135X F5.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	2280Click image for larger version

Name:	135X F5a.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2281Click image for larger version

Name:	135X F5b.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2282Click image for larger version

Name:	135X F5c.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2283

Great work Dan! Definitely excited to see this one keep going

Comment

Dan! Congratulations! Sure looks like a winner to me. I like the width on that plant as well. It looks like branches are supporting those huge tomatoes pretty well!

Time to start thinking of a name

Comment

Dan, you sent me some of the 135X F4-1-1 seeds. How many of the F5's have you grown? Are they all similar, or is this one unique vs others? I guess what I'm asking is - should we continue to pursue the F4s?

Comment

I've grown quite a few. Most were very healthy plants. This one was the most impressive. If you want to wait a couple of weeks, I can send you seed from this one and we can have several people grow some F6s. I really think there is something to be found there. I'd also like to have someone grow out some F5 cousins of this one. In this line, the leaf type has either been RL and very rugose like this one or what I marked XCL, which mean extra fine carrot leaf. I have some F5 seed from one of those XCL leaf types I could send.

Comment

Dan!
            it’s been months.
            just saw this thread.
            looks good!
            I am convinced, regardless of candidate, if you want more than one ore two big ones per plant, you are going to have to thin flowers or tiny fruit.
            Even 4-5 per cluster is too many.
            The full size plant guys do this in vertical culture. They prune to 3-4 clusters so the fruit are larger and uniform up and down.
            I will update where I am tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
            X