No announcement yet.

HL2601's 88xF3-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	WfxBGwO4TuiRUEpMNiAUaw.jpg Views:	17 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	1495
    Just thought I would post an update. These are 2 of the 88 F3's that I started Nov 1 and decided to keep going. Goal was to see how big they could really get and second goal was to try to compare tastes side by side from 2 generations of the same cross. Dan also has noticed that some micros will just keep growing if you have favorable conditions. These clearly have kept on growing, although 1 plant is obviously larger than the other. ( 88x plants D and A for my own reference). The F4's I have going are all from 88D-the larger plant shown here.
    Last edited by HL2601; 06-12-2020, 03:05 AM.

Comment

How tall were they when they matured their first fruit?

Comment

Gosh-off the top of my head between 9-13"

Comment

So is that the way we could categorize the micro size part Dan? When they first fruit?

What is interesting too is that this line has all the inflorescences with the mega blooms. They do still keep getting megablooms but all in all I think the tomatoes are getting bigger as the plant grows, rather than smaller...Bonus!

Comment

That is really interesting. They look great. I usually have more leaf die-off of lower leaves than those show by the time that are that age. Are they some of those in your first photos? Did these start under lights and get moved outside?

Comment

Yes, these are the same plants as in the first photos. They were started under lights but I moved them out because they were so vigorous and it started to be warm enough during the days. There has been some bottom leaf die back, but not as much as usual.

Comment

How much have they produced? Did they produce continuously or did they produce one batch followed by a second? Did you move them to a larger container when you moved them outside? I had one that matured an initial crop then continued to grow and matured a second crop. I attempted to move it outside the garden to, but it didn't take. I don't think I handled its water properly or it didn't like being moved from potting soil to real dirt.

It would be fun to have something that could be grown during the winter and moved outside come spring - a micro pm a sje;f during the winter that becomes a dwarf outside in the summer. Needless to say, I have lots of questions. Keep us updated.

Comment

They have produced decently but not like I have seen some of yours produce. They have produced continually. since they first started flowering which I believe was in January. There was a little slowing down as I hardened them off but I expected that. When I transferred them to the bigger outdoor pots I did amend with more fertilizer and worm castings. They have really liked that. They are thriving with lots of flowers right now and are continuing to grow both up and out.The carrot foliage is quite attractive and many friends have especially commented on that. The best part is I still like the outside large tomato flavor.

I will keep you posted as the season progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by HL2601 View Post
                    They have produced decently but not like I have seen some of yours produce.
                    You have to realize that I don't post photos of those that don't produce well or are ugly.

Comment

Dan, you are too modest! Your pictures and drive for these babies inspire all of us.

Comment

Since these 88X F3's are now close to a full year of growing I thought I would post some pics. I am getting ready to start F5's but these F3's just keep producing... I have never done this before and its interesting the tomatoes have not gotten smaller with time. Click image for larger version

Name:	eidaMBCuTj+IuC3u3hrOyQ.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2161Click image for larger version

Name:	2HWrp4JAQ0CpXEr+DsbyUg.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	2162

Comment

That is impressive - especially the fruit size! Are the F5s you have from the offspring of this plant? And did the F4s maintain the large tomato flavor? Are you going to take it back inside and try to keep it growing or call it done? Lots of questions.

Comment

It doesn't look like you're getting the suckers of a traditional indeterminate - so, are the leaders just not terminating? This is all quite interesting!

Comment

The two 88's seemed to have branched off from the main stem. And then they kept going and going but never met a full dwarf size. In the end...and please don't shriek...I had to let them die as I moved completely inside in November. Both those plants were still producing!!! I just got tired of lugging them around. I have currently got F4's and F5's in seed starting tray and they have come up. I thought it would be fun to compare generations side to side.

Comment

Working...
                              X