• Show
Clear All

HL2601's 88xF3-3

Cross Name 88xF3-3
    Plant Number or ID 88xF-3-1
    Date Harvested 2/25/2020
    Estimated DTM 85 days
    Plant Height 13"
    Growth Habit compact, sometimes multiple growth stems, gets bushier and continues to produce, MMF but not all flowers produce fruit. Many mega blossoms produce the bi lobed looking fruits
    Leaf Type carrot leaf
    Fruit Color Red
    Fruit Shape Oblate sm beefsteak
    Fruit Size 1.1 oz, .9 oz
    Fruit Taste
    Fruit Production good
    Lighting Type/Power inside-grow lights 6500K LED
    Container Size 1 gallon
    Hardiness
    Notes Love this variety! First of 4 other micro lines to produce tomatoes. Ripe picked tomatoes appear to have long shelf life-9 days. Taste of a full summer beefsteak. First micro I have ever tasted with the whole full taste, plenty of tang.
    Seed Submitted To
    Last edited by HL2601; 03-20-2020, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Looks fantastic! I've added the info here

Any thoughts on taste?

Comment

Heidi, they look great. FYI, here is a photo of the plant the seed 88X F3-3 came from.

Comment

HL2601 You may have mentioned it elsewhere - but, any thoughts on the taste of this one? I assume you will be carrying this one forward based on your report/comments?

Comment

The taste was such a nice winter surprise. Full of flavor! Round summer flavor with an appropriate bit of tang. Not at all sour like some of the other micros. I have the next generation going already from this plant.

Dan it's mother plant is shorter and more bushy than this one is turning out to be. Was the F2 early as well?

Comment

I have a second 88 F3 going too. It is a shorter plant that has also got multiple stems and is red with the same great flavor. Will post pics

Comment

Originally posted by HL2601 View Post
                The taste was such a nice winter surprise. Full of flavor! Round summer flavor with an appropriate bit of tang. Not at all sour like some of the other micros. I have the next generation going already from this plant.

Dan it's mother plant is shorter and more bushy than this one is turning out to be. Was the F2 early as well?
                Sorry, but I don't know how early the F2 was. I don't do a very good job of keeping track of time from seed to fruit. That is something I am working to improve - but you know what they say about old dogs......

Comment

From L to R-Pot 1, 3, and 4 are my 88xF3s. All are around 9"and CL. So far all have produced great tasting fruit. Saving seeds.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Yurh77D7TYWQJ78xzK0uHQ.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1169
                  A little set back . I started the first F4 seeds a week ago and none have germinated. Not sure why. Have never had that problem before. Restarted more today.

Comment

Plants are looking great! What method(s), if any, are you using to assist pollination?

Comment

My own hot air. I blow on them! Very sophisticated here.?

Comment

Ha! I have been tapping on the trusses every chance I get. I don't know if it makes a difference or not - some are fruiting prolificly, and others not so much. This could be due to temps as much as genetics or anything else I suppose. Either way, you seem to be getting pretty good pollination!

Comment

As my kids would be sure to tell you, I have a lot of hot air! And cooped up as we all are...well ...I am lucky to have my tomatoes!!

Comment

They look great. What lights do you use? And how do you fertilize?

Comment

I use a light stand from Gardener's Supply that has two 3 ft LEDs per shelf. I have been fertilizing once per week with a liquid all purpose veggie fert I got as an open box deal at the end of season. I have liked using the liquid.

Comment

Working...
                              X