HL2601's 51x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HL2601's 51x

I have carried out at least 4 generations now of 51x. It is a RL 10-16" plant that is highly productive. There are two strains. One produces a red cherry size with a slight nipple. Taste was a 7.5. More of a true micro taste. The more exciting strain is the yellow one. I think I have it at generation 6 or 7. It is more productive than the red and better tasting as well. I have given many plants away for neighbors to try and they are enamored. The cherries also have a more pronounced nipple and they are sweeter. Not an 88x full flavor but a nice flavor. One neighbor said "my plant just keeps going all summer. This little guy continued to earn its space in my garden." She is a pretty serious gardener so that was a big thumbs up from her. I currently have another generation of the yellow going outside. Started it on 2/1. This one is a keeper. I think after this plant produces, it is stable and should earn a name. Will save seeds. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1497Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	1500Click image for larger version

Name:	R92h5kd9T8qVxD2Ey3lZMA.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1501Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10367.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1499Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10364.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1498Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10385.jpeg
Views:	461
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1502 Here are various pictures from my journey with this line.
    Attached Files

Thank you, Heidi. Save lots of seed from that plant. So this plant is F8? What do you want to name it? Give it some thought. It's yours to name. The papa of this line was an F6 of what eventually became Dwarf Golden Heart from the Dwarf Project.

When you have seed, send me some (and Diane, Sean and others if they want). Let's grow out the next generation to confirm the stability and see how it performs under different growing conditions. I have a couple of lines at F9 I'd like to get others to grow for the same reasons. We could have three or four lines ready to go this fall/winter.

Comment

Dan- actually I confirmed and it is F7- should I still save lots of seed to send you all or wait until next gen?

Comment

Great job Heidi! I would definitely be interested in some seeds. I don't need a bunch.

Side note - of the two lines I currently have fruiting, I am noticing that they don't typically have many seeds, if any, within the fruits. Are you experiencing similar?

Comment

Interesting Sean- I haven't noticed specifically, but then again I was only saving seeds for myself so seed count wasn't a huge concern. Will look more closely when these ripen. Here are some shots I took yesterday of the 2 plants I have going - don't mind the tags I reused previous years so the generation isn't correct.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	hlgp5dFDStWC5Ah3rrPx5w.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1519Click image for larger version

Name:	jRUdaJjgQ2KwJwfIVBbzvA.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1518
          Attached Files

Comment

They sure look healthy. Send some seeds of these.

Sean, I sometimes see some plants that have very few seeds, but most have normal seeds. I saw a post somewhere recently saying that poor pollination results in fruits without seeds.

Comment

I will send some to both of you when they ripen

Comment

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10972.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1940Click image for larger version

Name:	fyLfxqowQgaxfnRnh8CEqg.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1941 Hi all- here is the F7. A nice plant that is very hearty and a super prolific MMF producer. The taste is good and anyone I have given seedling to is amazed and loves it...and then comes the HOWEVER- I also have several versions of 70x going. One was a purple, round F5 that was completely delicious. I grew it and imagine my surprise this season when it produced yellow tomatoes very similar in size and shape to 51x...but the taste was so much sweeter and to me better. The 70x plant is larger and not as vigorous and I don't believe it is MF...but still. How should we proceed? I have lots of seed I can save from the 51x. Should I still send? Can you Pm me addresses?
                Heide

Comment

Heide, still interested in some seeds. I will PM you.

Comment

Name:	vhjfR5NzSSuYvbTUTISaeQ.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2127
                    Here is yet another inflorescence. This plant just keeps on giving ( and it is not in full sun nor have I been very good at fertilizing it this summer.)

Comment

I have been growing 51x again this winter. Interestingly the two plants I kept are very different. I have heard of runts before and one of the two I kept because it started out way smaller than the other 11. The bugger plant is just like the former generations. It produces the same yellows and is a big MMF that produces and produces. This is one of those plants that if I keep fertilizing it could grow all summer. I don't think it will grow exceptionally tall-not to 24" for instance but I think offshoots keep it growing out. I really do like this plant and am coming up with its name. Maybe GG's moon phases. Not sure.

But let's get back to the runt? It doesn't have ripe tomatoes yet but it is maybe 8-9" with gobs of smaller unripe ones with faint nipples. Should I keep seeds? Or is this just a one off?And maybe it is considered defective even? Please chime in!

Dan and Sean I did send seeds to you guys. Not sure if you have grown it yet?
                      Here is a picture of the latest micros from this winter. These 51x are from the "normal" plant, not the runt.

Name:	2FD95080-BCCB-43F2-A943-422B84550EB2.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	2402

Comment

Working...
                      X