No announcement yet.

Back to the beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. I'm trying again this year, now that my deer fence has been replaced.

I have twelve kinds of multifloras blooming and setting fruit.

I sowed ten dwarf varieties later, in the greenhouse, and they are just starting to flower.

I emasculated them and went out to the garden to collect pollen from the multifloras. I held a black plastic yogurt lid under open flowers which I tapped. No pollen. I did this to dozens of flowers from about half of the multifloras. None. They must have produced some because their earlier flowers have developed fruit.

I finally did get pollen from a plant from the Q-series Panamorous grex from the Experimental Farm Network. I don't want to use it, though, as I have no idea yet what it is going to be like.

So, why did none of my named multifloras drop me some pollen? It is sunny, 21 C (about 70 F), just before noon.
    Last edited by Diane Whitehead; 07-24-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Well, I tried again today with no success. While I was trying for pollen, though, I noticed lots of bumblebees. They checked each flower but only entered some of them, so I guess they can tell when a flower has no pollen. And, of course, once they've finished with a flower, it won't be giving me any pollen.

So I've cut small branches of flowers that are still pale yellow, and have them in glasses of water in the house. No bumblebees inside, so I hope I'll get some pollen in a day or two.

Comment

Interesting. Is it possible that the anther cone is tight enough that pollen just isn't coming out? When I was gathering pollen for my two attempted crosses (neither micros), I got copious amounts of pollen from both Reverend Mike Keyes and Shule's selection of Galapagos. I think I gathered pollen sometime around mid-day.

Keep us updated!

Comment

Are you tapping or buzzing? I found I got more pollen with the child's electric toothbrush then just tapping...

Comment

I'm tapping. I have never seen an electric toothbrush. Do you touch the flower with the bristles?
            Last edited by Diane Whitehead; 08-11-2021, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I got a cheapie from Walmart child size as it cost the least. I set the back of the vibrating head on the flower or on the stem near the flower. You can see the flower shake/vibrate if you have it in the right place. If there is any pollen it will come out.

Comment

Maybe my climate is wrong for getting pollen easily.

This is what Tom Wagner, who lives nearby in Everett, Washington wrote on Tomatoville in late June:

I live in a climate that doesn't afford much pollen production...the temps have been in the fifties and sixties with rain every day for a while...with humidities in the 90's all night and morning and gradually reaching 75% by mid-day. Monday I started the breeding work about one o'clock and tomorrow I will try about 11 in the morning.
                Last edited by dixontarave; 02-08-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Trying again. I'm not pleased with most of the mini plants I'm growing. They are not mini and upight, but sprawling. They are also late.

However, one is OK. Rejina, from Sakata, is well-formed and has ripe fruit. Now to cross it with some multifloras.

Comment

Diane, my earliest micro so far is Moment, if you're interested I can send you some seeds over. I haven't tried it outside in my cool weather though. It's quite upright.

Comment

Thanks, Erin. I have never heard of Moment.

I'll send you a PM

Comment

Growersblend.ca where I got it says "Moment, or Момент, is a russian commercial micro tomato variety. Balanced red cherry. Quite prolific."

Comment

Growersblend has a lot of micro varieties. Most are currently sold out but I have just ordered Gemma (bred for the International Space Station), Delice de Neuilly, Laura #5 and Birdie Rouge.

I'm going to have fun this winter with lots of micros under lights.

Comment

Working...
                          X