No announcement yet.

Back to the beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. I'm trying again this year, now that my deer fence has been replaced.

I have twelve kinds of multifloras blooming and setting fruit.

I sowed ten dwarf varieties later, in the greenhouse, and they are just starting to flower.

I emasculated them and went out to the garden to collect pollen from the multifloras. I held a black plastic yogurt lid under open flowers which I tapped. No pollen. I did this to dozens of flowers from about half of the multifloras. None. They must have produced some because their earlier flowers have developed fruit.

I finally did get pollen from a plant from the Q-series Panamorous grex from the Experimental Farm Network. I don't want to use it, though, as I have no idea yet what it is going to be like.

So, why did none of my named multifloras drop me some pollen? It is sunny, 21 C (about 70 F), just before noon.
    Last edited by Diane Whitehead; 07-24-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Well, I tried again today with no success. While I was trying for pollen, though, I noticed lots of bumblebees. They checked each flower but only entered some of them, so I guess they can tell when a flower has no pollen. And, of course, once they've finished with a flower, it won't be giving me any pollen.

So I've cut small branches of flowers that are still pale yellow, and have them in glasses of water in the house. No bumblebees inside, so I hope I'll get some pollen in a day or two.

Comment

Interesting. Is it possible that the anther cone is tight enough that pollen just isn't coming out? When I was gathering pollen for my two attempted crosses (neither micros), I got copious amounts of pollen from both Reverend Mike Keyes and Shule's selection of Galapagos. I think I gathered pollen sometime around mid-day.

Keep us updated!

Comment

Are you tapping or buzzing? I found I got more pollen with the child's electric toothbrush then just tapping...

Comment

I'm tapping. I have never seen an electric toothbrush. Do you touch the flower with the bristles?
            Last edited by Diane Whitehead; 08-11-2021, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I got a cheapie from Walmart child size as it cost the least. I set the back of the vibrating head on the flower or on the stem near the flower. You can see the flower shake/vibrate if you have it in the right place. If there is any pollen it will come out.

Comment

Working...
              X