Back to the beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the beginning

I've been growing a lot of Dan's crosses he made with Chris' Red Robin X (maybe) Rose Quartz Multiflora F4.

I've got seeds of mini plants besides Red Robin, and a number of multifloras besides Rose Quartz Multiflora.

So, I've just sown the mini group, and will take cuttings from the multifloras that are currently fruiting outside, and grow them inside the greenhouse.

I haven't made any tomato crosses before (rhododendrons and squash have the size of flowers I prefer), but I will try.

The small ones:
    Andrina
    Ditmarsher
    Edelrot
    German Dwarf
    Latah
    Minibel
    Mohamed
    Red Robin
    Rejina
    Rejina Yellow
    Tiny Tiger
    Tiny Tim
    Totem
    Venus
    Yaponskiy Karlik (Japanese Dwarf)
    Yellow Pygmy

Do you have certain varieties selected for certain crosses?

Comment

No, not yet. I need to see how the little ones do - about half are ones I've never grown before. A number are from Casey's tomatoes in Alberta, Canada. It's a lot warmer in summer over on the Eastern side of the Rockies, so they may not do well for me out here near the ocean.

Comment

None of those are ones I have here. Most have handled our cool nights (normally in the mid 50s) without much problem but we have also had some bad heat here during the day... so not a typical growing season.
        Outside I have:
        Baby
        Hahms Gelbe
        Yellow Canary
        Rosy Finch
        Aztek
        Monteka
        Pygmy
        Bonsai

Hahm's Gelbe has not done well for me but I think much of its problems are from my inexperience as it was one of my first one to start and plant outside. I managed to fry the majority of the seedlings and then the two I kept alive wound up not thriving in the their original pots. I moved them to pots with a different soil mix and they have slowly recovered and are catching up with my others. Good luck with your experiments

Comment

Diane, what MFs do you have currently? I only have Reverend Michael Keyes - but am eyeballing several others.

Comment

I have seeds of all these, and the ones with a + beside them are ones that are currently growing in the garden.

Ildi
            Millefleur +
            Myrium +
            Orange Centiflor Hypertress +
            Rebel Alliance +
            Red Centiflor Hypertress +
            Red Cluster Pear +
            Riesentraube +
            Rose Quartz Multiflora +
            Yubileyny Tarasenko Red, aka Jubileyni Tarasenko +
            Zluta Kytice

Comment

do you have any of Dan's crosses that were MF? If so, it would be interesting to see what comes of a <Dan's Cross> x Rose Quartz

How are the Orange and Red Centiflor's doing? I was going to order some of those. As I understand it, the MF trait from those arose from breeding from wild relatives (non S. Lycopersicom)

Comment

Several of the 12 X , 13 X and 37 X had big clusters of fruit, and I saved seeds from them.

The Orange Centiflor is a bit more prolific than the Red. Everything is a bit too much of a tangle to count flowers to compare to fruit, but one cluster of the Orange has ten tomatoes so far. I didn't count the other clusters.

The bed with Millefleur, Yubileyny Tarasenko and Rose Quartz MF is overrun with Blue Ambrosia, so it is not possible to see what they are doing.

Comment

That project will begin again this year as last year I had a trio of fawns slither under my deer fence and eat everything before I noticed. The fence is now reinforced right down to the ground.

That won't necessarily be the last problem, of course. We had a dump of wet heavy snow that brought down a couple of trees - yes! on the fence. There went all my winter greens - kale, leeks, lettuce.

Now, why won't a cougar come by?

Comment

Sounds like it's time thin the herd!

seriously though, you are having a heck of a time with these deer! I suppose you may have already tried other forms of deterrent? Sprays, lights, etc?

Comment

These are tame deer. They come and peer in the window at me as I sip my tea, and if I'm outside working, they are hovering near by to see what I am pruning.

Comment

I see, so then I have to imagine with that lovely environment you just "price in" some losses in the garden

While I don't have any new MF stock growing this year, I did make a cross last year of Dwarf Mocha's Cherry x Rev Mike Keyes that appears to have been successful, and will be growing out a few of those. DMC was a very prolific short determinate, so it will be interesting to see what the MF gene does. Obviously not a micro - I do hope to make a few micro crosses this year.

Comment

So Sean have you tabled your work on 125x?

Comment

Originally posted by HL2601 View Post
                            So Sean have you tabled your work on 125x?
                            Not at all! Saving some seed, and will be growing more. Right now I'm growing out some stuff from the MF project. I plan to start more 125X soon!

Comment

Glad to hear that! I have a first, almost ripe fruit from the 125x seed you sent. Really attractive. Looks like it could be pink with faint yellow stripes. Maybe 2 oz...The plant has an open habit but is a little tall and may be more susceptible to yellowing bottom leaves. Could just be my neglect too though.
                              I figured out the pics thing and will post.

Comment

Working...
                              X