Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to the project - let's get started!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the project - let's get started!

Hello and welcome fellow micro growers! Whether you are have already received seed from the project and are working on growing it out, or are simply inquiring as to what this is all about, or just following the progress - welcome!

Here is some quick things to get you started either with the project at large, or here in the forums
    We also have a general "about" page, which you can find here

How do I participate?
    First, you may want to poke around and/or ask some questions here in the forums. We're working on documenting the crosses so you have more information. Once you are sure you want to participate, you can fill out the request form here

What happens next?
    We'll send you some seeds, and you start growing!

Ok, then what?
    Well, we would like for you to document your grow outs. Take pictures and make notes! Measure the plants height, record what kind of leaves it has, what color, size, and shape fruit. How do the tomatoes taste? Do they have thick skins? Are they spitters? You can start discussing what you are growing in the various subforums here
    We would also ask that you send us some seeds back. The whole point of having so many participants is to spread the load of growing these out to develop the crosses into something that other gardeners will want to grow!

Where do I send them?
    For right now, you can send them back to the return address on the package you received. Save some for yourself too, and also to help supply other participants. By distributing the sending of the seeds - it helps spread them around and keeps the burden off any one person

Thanks for your interest and happy growing!
    Last edited by SeanInVa; 02-23-2020, 05:08 PM. Reason: Added the link to the MTDP "about" page

Good post Sean. What I've been wanting having participated in dfollett growing for a few years now. (duh, it is right in the header)
    And maybe a good spot for 101 F2 growing/starting seed when the seeds arrives....
    All my effort did get lost on another venue. Time and effort gets frustrating lost in old postings...

We will all get used to this format and where to post...

If this header 'micro tomato diversity project' gets wings....this/my encouragement post should be deleted and leave room for the
    education of the project.

Comment

Originally posted by oakley View Post
      Good post Sean. What I've been wanting having participated in dfollett growing for a few years now. (duh, it is right in the header)
      And maybe a good spot for 101 F2 growing/starting seed when the seeds arrives....
      All my effort did get lost on another venue. Time and effort gets frustrating lost in old postings...
      Thank you Oakley. I am maintaining a "to do" list and one of the very first things I added was a few "write how tos". Specifically, I have in the list at the moment:
      • How-To: Micro Hunt
      • How-To: Feed micros
      • How-To: Report Status and Updates
      • How-To: Save Seeds and Submit to Project
      The third one I've addressed in a brief form already.

We will all get used to this format and where to post...

If this header 'micro tomato diversity project' gets wings....this/my encouragement post should be deleted and leave room for the
      education of the project.
      Fair enough. And please, if you or anyone else has some suggestions for the forum, don't be afraid to ask. The worst that will happen is I/we say "no"
      To that end, I've added a "Requests" forum here

Comment

Hello Sean, I'll post this on my site too. some are interested in playing!!

Comment

Sounds good Rajun - I honestly appreciate you being conducive to collaboration and inclusiveness in our community

Comment

I agree Sean. Thanks Rajun. Inclusivity is a really good thing!

Comment

Working...
            X