72 X MMF X Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

72 X MMF X Stick

I have grown Stick, and when I grew some of these hybrids, I found that Stick is obviously dominant. All of the plants had a straight stem with tufts of leaves all the way up. I didn't make many notes about the fruit, but I saved seeds from one plant, with 3 cm wide fruit and a paper skin so I must have liked it. What did I mean by "paper skin"? Often my comments are "tough skin". I haven't grown it out yet, but when I do, I will make better notes.

Originally posted by Diane Whitehead View Post
    I have grown Stick, and when I grew some of these hybrids, I found that Stick is obviously dominant. All of the plants had a straight stem with tufts of leaves all the way up. I didn't make many notes about the fruit, but I saved seeds from one plant, with 3 cm wide fruit and a paper skin so I must have liked it. What did I mean by "paper skin"? Often my comments are "tough skin". I haven't grown it out yet, but when I do, I will make better notes.
    You are right. The Stick leaf type is dominant. The F1 I grew from the cross looked just like Stick. I had forgotten I sent any of those seeds out. I grew a few F2s one time. The tiny Sticks were cuter than heck, but I never did anything else with them. I'm not sure if I saved any seed from them - probably didn't. I didn't save seed from the normal leafed plants and I didn't like the taste.

Comment

This one seems interesting, like columnar apples. Not great for growing under lights, or for quantity, but might have its place in the garden? Easy to manage?

The gene Cu (Curl) is dominant and described as: Mid- and lateral veins and petiole greatly foreshortened producing crumpled leaf; homozygous viable.

Sounds like what you're describing?

Stick is probably a part of the short-columnar-indeterminate 'Curly Kaley'. I'm going to grow Curly Kaley out this summer to see if it's a cool as it looks.

Comment

I just checked Curly Kaley on Tatiana's database. It shows several photos of tomatoes, but no picture of the plant, and very little information. I don't think she has grown it herself.

Comment

If either of you is interested in growing some little sticks, let me know. I have plenty of F2 seed from a cross between the micro multiflora and Stick. The F1 looked like stick. That means 75% of the F2s should have the Cu leaf and 25% regular leaf. I grew out several F2s and they are quite cute. Little sticks about 12-24" tall. I also have a little F3 seed that should nearly all have Cu leaf and also stay small.

Comment

Diane, search google images for Curly Kaley. It looks like a leafy, fruiting brussel sprout. Or some kind of brassica. And if you fry up the stem with butter and garlic, delicious!

Dan, I'd love to grow out some F2 and a small amount of F3 if possible. Do they seem indeterminate?

Comment

I'll send some of each. I don't know if they were indeterminate. I only grew out a few F3s. Except for the 'strange and unique' factor I didn't have a lot of interest. The little sticks were cute though. But I didn't see any sense in growing the regular leaf micros because the flavor of Stick wasn't that great and I didn't know what else it could bring to the party.

Comment

Working...
              X