HL2601's 70x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HL2601's 70x

Working with 70x has been interesting. I have it to F5 for 2 separate selections which Dan sent. One line is a purple with faint green striping-RL. The other is sort of PL with a red with yellow striping with a nipple.

In the F5 purple, there is still a great variation in size of plant though leaf type seems set. I selected down to 2 plants for this grow out and they are extremes. One is 15-20" ( which I have had regularly in the past)and the other is sweet and petite at 8"( That one is labeled DAD in the pics). Both flowering now. This tomato is a 9 in taste according to my family. I like seeing a purple in my mix.

The R/Y is 11-15" and has great fruit set right now. The nipple is pronounced. The fruit last season looked similar to amurskyi Tigr and Sunrise Bumblebee ( with a nipple)and was fine tasting. More acid than the purple but still very good. The leaf type is more rounded and I guess the closest to PL I have seen in a micro yet. The tomatoes are very attractive.

Have others grown any of these 70's? Have you seen similar things? Dan, this is another great cross. Striping is very fun to watch develop.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	InWJpAysTcml%wLPaHRXlQ.jpg Views:	2 Size:	125.7 KB ID:	1524
    Click image for larger version  Name:	bxtjw0TgQ6e6k7b0ThFsyA.jpg Views:	2 Size:	121.7 KB ID:	1522Click image for larger version  Name:	A9JcNwhySgCZWfMZEvZalg.jpg Views:	2 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	1523
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HL2601; 06-05-2020, 02:56 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yPCstEWqR2WTiV9vF6prOw.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1526

Name:	jZbc1XkGQ%qFAafnTXXl6A.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1527Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10370.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	1528

Comment

I have a purple 70X at F7 that I quite like. We'll have to swap seeds and compare. That 70X line is one I'd like to have a few other folks try so I could get some feedback.

Comment

Terrific! Does your F7 fruit look like the F4? Happy to send you seeds for both when they ripen.

Comment

The one I have at F7 is purple with green striping, multflora and about .75 oz. I'll send you some seed.

Comment

Hi Heidi and dfollett et al ,I'm Kelmund from Singapore, finally landed at the right place. I would like to give both 70x and 51x a try to grow-out. It's hard to get tomatoes to acclimatize in tropical humid island we have here. Let me know how I can contribute.
            Cheers,
            Kelmund

Comment

Kelmund- Just saw this, as I have been away. I will have plenty of seed to share of the 51x I don't know if you saw my post but one of my 70s suddenly morphed yellow! It is a great yellow, but still. I will wait from guidance from Dan and Sean as to how to proceed and how we want to share unreleased varieties.

Comment

Heide, please feel free to send away. The primary model for seed sharing for those that opt to do so, is to send seed along to those interested in growing. At least, that's the idea we put in place for Dan's work. As other breeders come along and participate, they may have different considerations.

Given that Kelmund is in Singapore, I am not sure if it might be easier to pass seed to first. Diane, not sure if you have any recommendations on this.

Comment

Yes, Heide, do share with anyone who is interested.

Perhaps Kelmund would fare better wth an earlier generation of a cross, though, as that would provide more variation for him to select for his tropical climate. Or do we have a member in Queensland who has been selecting for a tropical climate?

Comment

The 70 has been wacky for me! Three very different tomatoes produced and Dan has a 4th he likes. Diane I think its a great idea to start kelmund with an earlier generation because there may be lots more to discover. Plus Dan and I are both at altitude with little humidity. Kellmund's environment is entirely different. Dan do you want to send seeds or I can look back to my original seeds too.

Comment

I'll send some

Comment

Latest photos from 70x F5 R/Y stripe. Still producing on Sept 27! The tomatoes from this specific variant of 70x have stayed quite similar for several generations now.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by HL2601; 09-28-2020, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Name:	dxw%v6COT0G8qJV+vkQ5ww.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2125
                          Updated pic-they are almost ripe! Don't mind the whitefly damage ?

Comment

Calamity- seed frommte 70x R/Y was somehow almost lost...I thought I saved a ton of seed but only had one packet with very few seeds. Planted them 12/20. Had 2 plants. Was putting them in a faux greenhouse at night and had a snap frost! Lost one. Severely cropped down the second to hopefully get it big enough to plant outside in May.. GRRRR

Good and some bad news for 70x purple. I planted the next generation last fall and got all yellow tomatoes. Clearly that was a seed mishap! SO I went backwards a generation to those I knew would be purple again Here they are. beauties I think.Click image for larger version

Name:	EA049A34-C36E-412F-A322-6803875DDCCD.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2404 I have 2 plants that have a great open habit. One is a little tall but both are semi MMF. The tomatoes this time have really exhibited more distinct green striping than before. It is just gorgeous. Haven't tasted yet as I want them to ripen more.

Comment

Working...
                            X