Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HL2601's 35x F5-4-9-3

35x F5-4-9-3
    Planted 50 seedlings 11/1/2019. Culled to 4 by 1/1/2020. All were sturdy plants with rugose, dark green foliage. The leaves were unusual in that their surfaces almost looked bubbly. Height on par with other micro varieties planted at the same time. 2 of the 4 plants split into two main growing stems. By 2/25 they were quite tall-22". None of the 4 plants had yet fruited. These were the slowest of the 4 varieties of micros seeded at the same time. For project goals all were too tall and frankly too slow. I will keep at least 1 going just to see if it does fruit.

I am noticing we have many that come in at a 18"+ range. In terms of finding "larger" fruited plants, I suspect we're going to need something in this range. This would fill a gap between micro (6-18" or so) and dwarf 36"+ (give or take).

Methinks we need a third project going to work towards that

As for the slowness - yeah, that's way too slow for fruiting. I have some that I started (from different lines) around the same time that are just now flowering. sheesh!

Comment

Sheesh is right! We'll reserve this one for that third project! Do you know anything about why sometimes they develop several main stems? Some do , some don't. One of my 150's has an initial stem then a quick second that shoots out straight sideways. Good for baskets perhaps...

Comment

Something like this?
        https://www.tomato-talk.com/filedata...7&d=1582068305

or maybe this (same thing, smaller plant)
        https://www.tomato-talk.com/filedata...6&d=1582068304

Comment

Originally posted by HL2601 View Post
          35x F5-4-9-3
          Planted 50 seedlings 11/1/2019. Culled to 4 by 1/1/2020. All were sturdy plants with rugose, dark green foliage. The leaves were unusual in that their surfaces almost looked bubbly. Height on par with other micro varieties planted at the same time. 2 of the 4 plants split into two main growing stems. By 2/25 they were quite tall-22". None of the 4 plants had yet fruited. These were the slowest of the 4 varieties of micros seeded at the same time. For project goals all were too tall and frankly too slow. I will keep at least 1 going just to see if it does fruit.
          I have probably grown more plants from the 35X line than any other - probably because it was the first that showed really great coloring. It was dark purple with metallic green stripes. It is also the line I am most frustrated with. I think I may be getting close then the next generation initially looks great then send up a huge multifloral umbrella of blossoms on stems too weak to hold the fruit and it doubles over when it sets fruit. Or it looks great, but doesn't stop growing and ends up too tall. If I didn't have other lines to work on that I think have as much or more promise, I would go back to F2 or F3 on this one.

I have also sent out a lot of seed from this line. It will be interesting to see if anyone is happy with anything they have found.

Comment

Originally posted by HL2601 View Post
            Do you know anything about why sometimes they develop several main stems? Some do , some don't. One of my 150's has an initial stem then a quick second that shoots out straight sideways. Good for baskets perhaps...
            Because these are crosses between two plants with vastly different growth characteristics (often unstable on both sides) and what we are growing are different combinations and manifestations of all of those different characteristics.

Comment

Lots of instability here for sure!

Comment

Update: of the two plants I kept one did produce a fruit! It was pinky/red/purplish, clear epidermis with some green shoulders and green striping. Very pretty. And here is the kicker. I tasted it after a good week, post picking. Wow. My first thought was gee this tastes like Elgin Pink. Definitely that nice pink sweetness, not mushy and it felt like summer had arrived. Am saving seeds from it even if the plant is a little large. The good thing about this plant was that it is a survivor. It kind of got neglected and overlooked at the back of a crowded shelf so it wasn't transplanted to a bigger pot for way too many weeks nor was it watered appropriately like any of the others. Some good qualities there.
                Attached Files

Comment

35 gone ROGUE!
                  23"
                  It is the second 35x F5 plant I have kept going. It just looks so healthy and its is almost Spring. My thinking was to pot it up for the long run and start moving it on the patio. Maybe I will get early, good tomatoes.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	+V+2shD9TneTS2mpYOi5cA.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1167

Comment

I hope you can find something interesting here. The 35X line has frustrated me more than any other. Seems like I find something really promising then can't reproduce it. Save seed from a 12" plant and the next generation all grows much taller. Find a great tasting one..... you know the story. However, On the plus side, some of the most promising new lines have 35X in their pedigree.

Comment

I ended up potting up that second too tall 35x..Here are both-2 more tomatoes ripening. I'll keep them going for now. It feels nice to see plants on the patio even if I have to drag them in during cold days and nights

Name:	SNxpIvsyR+m4MOAnbe7hlg.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1222

Comment

here they were as young' insClick image for larger version

Name:	Z8soYRvWROOfMg1GyBv6XA.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	1272 ins

Comment

Name:	mOs9F6g2TA2PhCLc2Z%kMw.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1699Click image for larger version

Name:	kgWbsjEmRMiTrBJgFoFFBA.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1700Click image for larger version

Name:	Ti2F8HW8R8+S+AmgZxlXcg.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1701
                          News! I had given a 35x to a friend and she texted me saying I had to try her tomato. Said it was incredible. She saved this one for me. Sorry I cut it the wrong way. Coloring similar to mine but a smaller plant. Best news-it was started 11/1 still going strong outside as of 7/15. The tomato was one of the sweetest I have tasted! Have saved seeds and will pursue come Fall.

Comment

That's a tiny heart!

Comment

Working...
                            X