HL2601's 150xF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HL2601's 150xF2

Started more than 100 seeds 11/1/2019 culled to 7 final micros. First one with ripe fruit today 3/2/2020. Below are the three different leaf/growth types I found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PHwsOh77TE6s85Dumugt7A.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	863Click image for larger version

Name:	wkr%UjGQSMy2FnXXZg5oQw.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	864Click image for larger version

Name:	jnKR9lvlR6S%V1vECCvnWg.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	865Click image for larger version

Name:	awxvryN0RJ2X1Kx5HPeI%Q.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	866

Comment

Looks great Heide! Have you tasted any of these yet?

Comment

No tasting yet because they are ripe and bright red but still super firm- I want to see how long they stay firm on the kitchen windowsill. The 88's are doing incredibly with that.

Comment

They look great, Heidi. Did any of the carrot leaf make the final cut or did they all grow too tall? They sure look healthy. How do you fertilize?

Comment

The Carrot leaf did make it into the final cut. Interestingly. it was the absolute smallest as a seedling out of 100 plants. It stayed super small for a long time too, maybe first 5 weeks, then suddenly caught up. Now it is more tall than I would like but has ripe fruit and of course the great leaves. Will post pics with a ruler.

I have been fertilizing once per week with a water soluble veggie fert that was broken bag end of season deal at HD last year. I rebagged so I am not sure exactly what it is but its been good. I also sprinkle a little osmocote at repot time.
            Last edited by HL2601; 03-22-2020, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HL2601 View Post
              The Carrot leaf did make it into the final cut. Interestingly. it was the absolute smallest as a seedling out of 100 plants. It stayed super small for a long time too, maybe first 5 weeks, then suddenly caught up. Now it is more tall than I would like but has ripe fruit and of course the great leaves. Will post pics with a ruler.
              I've learned you can't always pick the micros early. Some just keep growing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10354.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1224Click image for larger version

Name:	PIME30oESLy747vgjaJ2tQ.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1225 From the three leaf and growth types I found in this line today I culled one type. Plants 3 and 7 were the right height but were narrow, more stick like with very curled leaves. The growth habit just isn't desirable and they were more prone to yellowing of leaves. I am now down to plants 1,2,5,6 and then plant 4 which is the carrot leaf. Here are a group of the tomatoes to compare what they produced.

Comment

A quick question... What's too tall for you? There isn't a right or wrong answer. It depends on you growing conditions. How does the flavor compare with the 88X?

Comment

For me-taller than 18" feels too tall for a micro. I want to be able to keep them under lights during a winter grow. During the summer I am happier to let them spread either up or out.

Taste-So far the 88x is the best. I did like 150x F2-1 and 2 and the carrot leaf can't be ruled out either. ( Still deciding about plants 5 and 6.)They are all more acid than the 88x, but I think less acid and tangy ( and more summer time taste) than say the 33x.

I did pot up the carrot leaf ( plant 4) in a larger pot to put outside. The plant is a good one. I want to keep growing it out.

A question-now that I have a carrot leaf in the 150 will the F3 from those seeds definitely be a carrot leaf too?

Comment

Yes, the F3s and later from that plant will be carrot leaf. If there were potato leaf in the pedigree, I'd say there may be a very small chance you could get a potato leaf occasionally. Since there isn't potato leaf in the pedigree, the carrot leaf should be fixed. Since carrot leaf is recessive to regular leaf, there will be a chance you could get a carrot leaf from any regular leaf F3s.

Comment

Thanks Dan! Another question...have I heard that sometimes flavor may not be as great in an F2 but can be better or change a lot in the F3s? I thought that may have been something folks have talked about with the DTP?

edit-maybe I should have posted this question in the interesting observation-flavor category to get that started?

Comment

Yeah. we ought to get more general conversations going. To your question, I have found flavor to be quite difficult to stabilize. It is like many other traits, some stay with the line, others vanish. Things that are controlled by a single gene (like leaf type) are easy to stabilize. Once a plant is homozygous for that gene, it is fixed. Flavor is controlled by lots of genes. They don't stabilize so easily.

Comment

Working...
                          X