HL2601's 150x F3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HL2601's 150x F3

Seeds were sown on 4/1/2020 for this next generation. 4 strains moved forward from F2 selection. Plants 1,2,6 and plant 4 which was a true carrot leaf. Plant 1 was best tasting and the earliest as an F2. Plant 1 is still the earliest and it is also producing MMF hearts! There were some heart-ish shaped ones in F2 ,but these are very clearly more pointed. None are ripe yet but the plant is about 10" and is really full of fruit on several trusses.

Those are looking awesome! You seem to have fairly decent fruit set so far.

Comment

They look great. It's amazing to watch the differentiation as the different generations produce. What color were the F2s?

Comment

F2's of all 4 kept plants were red- it would be great to get something different.

Comment

I think red is all I have found so far as well for this cross in the F2s.

Comment

The first ripe fruit of F3. Heart shaped and red. Much larger than the F2 fruit. Can't wait to taste. This one is a really attractive plant as well as a good producer. Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10902.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	1864

Comment

That's quite a plant! I hope the taste is there. In my experience plants that have green shoulders tend to have better flavor than those that ripen uniformly. I read somewhere that there is a 'uniform ripening gene' that does away with the green shoulders and let's the fruit ripen evenly. Something that is important in growing for market (think supermarket tomatoes). But it often has a negative affect on flavor. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Any update on the taste? Cheers

Comment

Update on 150x. I continued this winter with 4 different plants. All are carrot leafs. Everything was looking great- then poof. Had them out 1 night in a mock greenhouse and had massive damage on all 4. Will post pics but I am experimenting by cutting off the bad foliage and trying to get the plants to continue-much like after a hail storm. Gosh it has been a tough spring here. Click image for larger version

Name:	C1721CB2-6117-4BA4-9978-8DBA105392EF.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2428
                  Here is the success story so far. The plant is maybe 5". This tomato is 1 oz and has several more. I trimmed the affected leaves off. I had hoped it would keep some green shoulders as it ripened but today it is much more red-and completely red. Will post more pics tomorrow.

Comment

I've always liked plants that show green shoulders. I read somewhere that they don't have the 'even ripening' gene and that gene is often detrimental to flavor. Some of the best flavored large tomatoes I have grown have green shoulders. (I don't know if there is anything to that, but it sounds good).

Comment

Working...
                    X