Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential

This cross definitely seems to have great potential for the BLT-Worthy project. I have 7 F2s in the ground this year. Only one is really "micro" and that one is about 12" tall. The others are between 18" and 24" or so, but they are all producing larger-sized tomatoes.

The smallest 12" plant is putting out consistent 2-3oz, red/yellow striped fruits with good taste.

The others are putting out a range of sizes, that are rather meaty and low in seeds - but a few at least have been "sandwich worthy" according to the family. I just pulled two fruits from the taller plant, and they weighed in at 5 and 7 ounces! This one is definitely too big for a micro - but could easily fit the gap between "micro" and "dwarf". Picture attached, ~16oz Mortgage Lifter and sharpie for reference.

Given the fruit size and taste potential, I will be exploring this one a lot more. I have plenty of F2 seed from Dan, and have a F1 I'm saving seeds from as well for even more. Some of you will be getting some of these seeds soon.
    Attached Files

Looking good! Can you tell yet how large the fruit on the F1 is going to be?

Comment

The fruit on the f1 is just a medium to large cherry. I thought this odd since you stated yours had been rather large. My guess here is that if the parents were not fully stable, then the offspring wouldn’t be consistent. The father from frogsleap was a hybrid right?

Comment

Yes. The F1 I grew had fruit in the 5-7 oz. range. About like what you show. Like you say, both parents were unstable so there will be differences in the F1s. Apparently the one I grew hit the jackpot for size. I've asked Mark if he would share information on its background but haven't heard back from him.

Comment

This is what I learned about the 3C45 parent.....:

Hi Dan. C45 was a cross between two high flavor saladettes, so the large fruit are unexpected. It is a complex pedigree, but the only large fruit type is BTD, which was a grandfather.

It will have potential for stripes and different colors and good flavor.

Comment

Working...
          X