Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

112x

Hello everyone,

I have started a crop of 112X F2. I started small as I have limited space in the winter. I think I have one seedling to fill so far. It's far larger than the others. It also has a different leaf shape.

I was wondering if anyone else is working on this cross right now too?

Sarah
    Attached Files

Your plants look terrific! Isn't it fun to see which pop up taller and how fast they are noticeable?

Comment

• Poppabass
      Poppabass commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks HL2601!

I am having fun - though I usually hate to toss seedlings when I start them in the spring. But there is a specific reason here, so I will be ruthless.

They look great. No one else is growing that specific cross, but I am growing some with the same papa. The papa was a regular leaf, but it has potato leaf in its pedigree. It is possible that you could find a potato leaf in there somewhere.

One thing I can't overemphasize is to start lots more than you intend to grow out. With the indeterminate papa, the F2s will mostly be too big to call a micro. From my experience, to end up with 5 micros you need to start 50-100 and clip the tops off anything that stands up tall at the seedling stage. I then move them to cups so they still don't take too much space and only move the very smallest to their final pot. The continue to differentiate as they grow.

With the dwarf X indeterminate cross it is easy to see the dwarfs initially and the dwarfs are dwarfs. The 'micros' seem to fall in a continuum from dwarf down and aren't as easy to identify. Some start small and stay small. Some start small and keep growing.

Comment

• Poppabass
      Poppabass commented
      Editing a comment
      Dan, I take your point here. I grew I indeterminate, dwarf, and micros (Tiny Tim) this past year so I saw the height differences. Will the micros have the rugose foliage I saw with the dwarf plants?

This batch already seems far taller than the Tiny Tims I grew last year, but they may be dwarf sized. I will call ruthlessly if they get too big... And start over. That's what winter is for.
      Last edited by Poppabass; 09-24-2020, 03:17 AM. Reason: Added Dan's name.

Sarah,
    Thank you for checking in! I am happy to see you've been able to get some started. As Dan mentioned, you're going to want to cull the larger/taller plants. If you want to keep them going for personal reasons, by all means - but they won't be micros.

I added a little About 112X page here: https://www.tomato-talk.com/forum/th...088-about-112x
    Additionally, I created a sub-forum for this cross and moved this post into it (with a 1-month redirect from your original posting spot)

There is not a ton of info there. The father of the cross is a plant dubbed 7H13 that originated from Frogs Leap farm. As Dan mentioned, it is a regular leaf - and it was also an indeterminate striped beefsteak. There is potential in this cross for some larger fruits (relatively speaking), as well as striped fruit.

As the mother in this cross was one of the Micro Multiflora generations (as opposed to a cross of), there is a good chance you will see some multi-flora characteristics pop up as well.

Good luck, and looking forward to your progress with this one!

Comment

• Poppabass
      Poppabass commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Sean, I will keep posting as I have news. Thanks for getting a subgroup all set up. I checked out Frogs Leap Farms on the web - really cool stuff. I may keep an F2 for curiosity sake but I will be micro hunting too.

So fun to see new crosses being grown. Good luck Sarah and please post any pics!

Comment

Working...
    X