Not sure what is going on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what is going on

These plants have been in the ground for about 10 days, I noticed the new leaves seem to be curled up, i have looked around the web and hoping this is not curly top virus. I was wondering if any on else has seen this' possibly transfer stress, it was also was very dry and windy when they went in, but now super wet. Just not really wanting to give up on them yet, but the clock is ticking. The photo is of a new variety to me Big Brandy. Note: peppers, egg plant and beans are all doing fine thanks for the help.

I've not experienced that particular symptom myself, so I am not entirely sure. I've gone from dry to wet and wet to dry after transplanting and don't recall seeing that. I tend to be pretty rough with my tomato plants when transplanting, and aside from initial slow growth/stalling, I don't get many other side effects from shock.

A quick reading suggests high humidity might hinder the virus if that's what it is. St Louis is usually quite humid if I recall?

Having said that, if you have limited space and/or a limited season, it might be worthwhile to pull these out and put something else in. If you have a big enough plot of land, perhaps move these far away and let them go and see if this continues (at the risk of spreading said virus, if that's what it is). If it does not, and you still have space, you could root some suckers and replant.

Comment

thanks for your thoughts, and you are correct, St. louis is historically miserably humid most of the time but this spring has been pretty moderate. What i find unusual is that the plants continue to grow taller probably 4 inches in the last two weeks. Additionally, I think I should point out that I did amend the soil this spring with raised bed mix from a local compost company and aged bagged manure. I also applied "Miracle grow for tomatoes" the first week they were in. Not sure if this had any impact as all the other plants are doing great. Maybe too much nitrogen ? I did a soil test and my ph appears to be fine. My plan at this point is to continue to watch and wait as the variety of available starts is very limited. I appreciate your help.

Comment

In my experience, generally speaking, excess nitrogen tends to present with other symptoms, especially "tip burn", which I do not see, but it can result in some odd growth habits in new shoots as well, especially leaf curl.

It's entirely possible this particular cultivar is sensitive to an abundance of nitrogen or other nutrients, so do keep that in mind.

You mentioned adding amendments from a local company. I would presume that if they are in business and reasonably reputable, that their products are of good quality and nobody else is having issues, but that is a variable. For this purpose, I'm assuming that "bagged inputs" are mostly homogonous and giving them benefit of a doubt that they have a formal procedure for product generation. Your specific symptoms are similar to what might be observed from application of a herbicide. Depending on your local company's inputs, there are instances where herbicides applied to feed for horses can be passed through to the manure, or, I suppose the matter harvested from the field and added to the compost had the herbicide applied directly.

Note: I am not stating this is the case, but it's something to be cognizant about. I've heard several stories where someone got burned by this particular case, including a pretty prominent gardener, Joe Lamp'l. See this link for some more info (and totally check out his show and podcast! lots of GREAT information there)

Comment

thanks so much, i will take a look at the attachments. It seems that my new growth appear to be closer to normal, I am hopeful that whatever it is or was is over. This is a great site, appreciate all of your hard work.

Comment

Just a quick update, seems my plants have returned to normal, and are setting fruit. So glad i did not give up and pull them, thanks again for all your help

Comment

Leaf curling in your Big Brandy tomatoes could be due to transplant stress, especially since they were recently planted. The extreme weather conditions you described, from dry and windy to very wet, might also contribute to the issue. Ensure consistent watering and monitor for any signs of pests or diseases. A nutrient imbalance in the soil could also be a factor. Since your other plants are doing fine, it's less likely to be a widespread problem, but keep an eye on the tomatoes and consult a local expert if needed.

Comment

Working...
              X