What can newbies do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can newbies do?

I just discovered micro dwarfs this year. Have 10 different varieties growing out and I am totally in love. Of course my method when I find a new interest is to read and read and read some more. Which is how I tracked yall down. I love the idea of the Micro Tomato Diversity Project. BUT I feel sorta like I am 10 years behind everyone in here...

So my question really is what can a newbie like myself do? Should we be growing out seeds or making crosses or both or????

Such great questions. The micros are really addictive, I agree. The best answer I can give is just keep growing and observing, Save seeds from the best. Take pictures and tell us about your babies. Are you growing any of Dan's crosses or are you growing established micros? For me, the novelty and unexpected surprises that come from the crosses spur me on to keep lines going until we find something really special. But that's just my take. Ask any questions! If you want seeds to try from certain families, Dan or Sean can easily guide you.

Comment

Both! Whichever tweaks your interest.

Thanks for the input. Please share information about what you are currently growing. I'd like to learn more about what is out there. If you are only growing stable lines, you'll have a ball playing with the variety of the different crosses. If they are stable existing lines, you could use them to make new crosses and bring them into the project (actually you could do that even if they are not stable). The sky's the limit. I'd be happy to send you some lines with different leaf types, colors or sizes for you to play with. Grow some crosses to see if you can find new varieties and also use them in making crosses with those lines you are currently growing. Accomplish two things at the same time and have fun doing both. Lots of possibilities.

Comment

Grin all my current micros are stable commercially available lines but would love to try others once this batch is finished. I got 13 different varieties but only have 9 different ones growing at the moment. Those are:
        1. Baby
        2. Hahm's Gelbe
        3. Pygmy
        4. Monteka
        5. Azteka
        6. Bonsai
        7. Rosy Finch
        8. Yellow Canary
        9. Micro Tom
        Waiting to be started are
        1. Mohammad
        2. Vilma
        3. Window Box Red
        4. Pinocchio
        I planted the Micro Tom seed on May 25 and of my 5 plants 3 are in full bloom and one actually has a tomato forming already. Can we say I am in a bit of shock over that. My larger plants outside are just starting to bloom. I have limited space for big tomatoes and a short cooler growing season so have learned to limit my self to those who are 75 days to maturity or less. AND are about saladette size which is why my main tomato is Stupice.. Of course this year I am also trying Green Zebra ( a favorite but rarely get ripe tomatoes) , Tigerella (the small red with yellow stripes version not Mr Stripey), Moskvich, Blush and Patio Choice from seed and picked up Large Barred Boar, Jasper Violet and Yukon Quest from the Master Gardener plant sale.

I also got Carol Deppe's book to read and am really enjoying it...

Comment

Hi , I'm growing sweetie pie which is an Russian, Ukrainian micro. The rest are indigo rose, sunshine blue, Matt's wild cherry and other Ukrainian tomatoes. As mentioned in other threads. I am keen to tropicalise or landrace the improved micros, at the same time stabilise them. I see micros are important in land scarce Singapore. I am getting some new commercial micros like Linda, ille Lise, Mohamed, father frost etc

Comment

Kelmund, you have to deal with monsoons correct? Do they occur during the tomato-growing season? If so, I would imagine splitting/cracking of the tomato fruits might be a problem?

I'm curious how the Russian/Ukrainian tomatoes do in your environment? Are you growing them because they do well, or are they just more accessible?

Comment

Working...
            X