Hello from Sunny Island Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Sunny Island Singapore

Hi all, just hopped over from Tomatoville. I'm an avid grower here in Singapore and have been growing cherries here since its hard to get beefsteak type to grow here. Hope to contribute more to tropical tomato research.
    Cheers, Kelmund

Welcome aboard Kelmund, happy to have you here! I admit I'm not real familiar with the climate in Singapore. What are the pressures that make growing larger tomatoes difficult vs the cherries?

Comment

Hi Sean, the temperature makes the fruit abort. I.e. lotsa flowers but no fruit development.

Comment

ah ha, so something that tolerates the high heat would work well. I am not sure we've tracked that distinctly, as of yet, with the current crosses in the project. So far, they seems to set fruit decently in higher temps, but it's just been the past few weeks here where the heat has really kicked in.

Comment

Yes, and to obtain larger fruits here with full flavours are tough. I don't mind to help stabilise the crosses by grow out to increase FX counts and maybe help localise the variety to be heat and humidity tolerant.

Comment

There are breeders in the southern US that are working on heat and humidity tolerance and at least one is working with micros so hers may have more tolerance. I know she has a few new varieties she will be releasing in fall...

Comment

Thanks that's great. How can I contact her?

Comment

I believe the breeder being referenced is Ellen (Ellie) with Bunny Hop Seeds:

https://heritageseedmarket.com/index...nny-hop-seeds/

Bunny Hop Seeds. 1,809 likes · 10 talking about this. Bunny Hop Seeds offers seeds of unique heirloom as well as newly developed lines of tomatoes.

Comment

Yes that is who I was thinking of... I can remember Bunny Hop for obvious reasons but her name is harder for me to remember. She is probably not the only one working on larger tomatoes that can grow in high heat and humidity but she is the only one I know of raising micros in those conditions.

Comment

I know she loves coyote. But often she ran out of seeds. I initially actually thought you refers to Kareno for this one. Hehe

Comment

Working...
                    X