X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeanInVa
    replied
    Originally posted by dfollett View Post
    I almost never do anything unless I am making crosses. Then, if I have the vegibee in hand I will buzz those close at hand. It's probably a combination of not wanting to make the effort (inherent laziness) and justifying it by thinking that by not helping them pollinate I will also be selecting for those that pollinate best without help.
    Good point there. Everything you do (or don't do) to a plant is a kind of selection pressure. Something to keep in mind moving forward, as I have been tapping the heck out of the trusses. As a result (maybe?), I have some very good fruit set on some

Leave a comment:

• Diane Whitehead
    replied
    Oh, I've never seen pollen dropping. I just assume it is doing so.

Leave a comment:

• dfollett
    replied
    I almost never do anything unless I am making crosses. Then, if I have the vegibee in hand I will buzz those close at hand. It's probably a combination of not wanting to make the effort (inherent laziness) and justifying it by thinking that by not helping them pollinate I will also be selecting for those that pollinate best without help.

Perhaps you could watch closely to see what time of day you see the most pollen dropping. I recall reading that late morning is the best time to try to pollinate for crosses. However, I don't know if that is accurate or if it carries over to what you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• Diane Whitehead
    started a topic Shaking to pollinate the indoor ones

Shaking to pollinate the indoor ones

The wind does it outside, but indoor tomatoes need some jostling to drop the pollen down and start the tomato developing.

With tall staked plants I would just bang the stakes, but with these tiny ones, I gently run my hands over the tops of the plants.

I don't know if there is a best time of day to do this, so I vary from morning to afternoon and have little tomatoes developing, so one of those times must be right.
Working...
X