No announcement yet.

And we are off to the races...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yippee so now I have 2 carrot leaf from 172X F2 to watch. It doesn't hurt that they are among the small ones. The possible potato leaf will be watched, it is medium height in my seedlings but a bit behind most.

Comment

These really do come up quickly... my pellets planted on 23 Sept are all up! Some have been up 4 or 5 days already... I have been watching the ones moved on and have a few tentative culls due to size but I want to wait and see what happens a month in from transplanting them.

Comment

Um guys it has only been 55 days since I planted the tray of 172X F2 today I noticed I have EIGHT with flower buds in various stages of development. These are all "tall" plants and a couple look very close to flowering... My medium and short plants are still without buds...

Comment

It will be interesting to see how tall the 'tall' ones get. I have a bunch of 172X growing in cups. It will be another 7-10 days before I decide how many and which go into the final pots. Maybe Sean could move this string to the 172X page and I will update here also.

Comment

That sounds like a very good idea.
            Tall is of course all relative. My largest seedling so far is about 7 inches and that one is not flowering so is sitting in the cull row. The "tall" plants with flower buds are all under 6 inches tall.

Comment

I had totally open flowers on two of my seedlings? yesterday that I buzzed with the toothbrush plus a plant with 2 flowers almost totally open that also got the buzzing treatment. These aren't as fast as my Micro Tom (2 of those had flowers by day 30) but I still think they flowered rather quickly.
              The plants with flowers/flower buds are all in the 6 inch tall range. My 3 to 4 inch tall plants are not showing any signs of wanting to bloom yet. That includes my two carrot leaf and my short one I have been watching.

These are currently in 9 oz clear plastic cups with holes cut in the bottom. I have been looking them over and trying to settle on culls for the next step...
              Originally my plan was to keep the shorter plants which would have left me with 5 or 6 to grow on. Now all those shorter plants are still growing slowly but not flowering while 8 of my taller plants have flower buds. 2 plants had fully open flowers yesterday, 1 has two flowers that will finish opening today, and another has 2 flowers showing yellow but are still a day or so away from opening. Another 4 have flower buds but they are not as full developed as the front four. AND as mentioned before "taller" is relative. All of the plants which are blooming or have flower buds are in the 6 inch tall range. My tallest non blooming plant is 7 inches tall and a couple of others in that back row of non blooming plants are pushing that height. Those tall non flowering plants are an easy cull but what about those short non blooming plants...

I think my plan for now will be:
              The 4 in bloom will stay and be grown on,
              The 4 with flower buds but not flowering yet I will keep to watch
              The 6 shortest but not flowering will stay to see how big they get and how soon they flower.
              Cull my 7 inch plants without flowers
              Does that sound reasonable? Or am I missing something?

Comment

Sounds reasonable. There are no rules. Do what you think best. I have never paid that much attention to how quickly they flower. All other things being equal, it makes sense to select those that flower first.

Comment

Another first for me FUZZY TOMATOES! Yep all three of the plants with biggest tomatoes have fuzzy/hairy tomatoes! I had to double check my Yellow Canary tomatoes to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Then came the challenge of getting the hairs to show in a photo... all 4 of the plants with tomatoes big enough to look at have fuzzy tomatoes on them.
                  My possible potato leaf and one of the carrot leafs have flowers but no tomatoes yet, so I am not sure what theirs will be like.
                  SeanInVa do you think we could move this string to the 172X page in the crosses section as it looks like things are going to be getting interesting for both I and Dan?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	fuzzy tomato 1 10-27-2020 11-31-43 AM.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2177

Comment

wykvlvr Do you want me to move the entire thread, or just the last few posts?

Comment

hmm good question dfollett what do you think?

Comment

It's your thread. I'm OK and will follow it either way.

Comment

Lets make it the entire post then since it has planting dates etc in it

Comment

Done. I opted to create a redirect in the original forum that will expire after 1 month

Comment

If my understanding of genetics is correct fuzzy tomatoes are recessive to smooth tomatoes which makes it interesting to me that all 5 of the plants I have with tomatoes have fuzzy tomatoes on them. Did both parents of this F2 have fuzzy skin? Or is this just a really odd coincidence?
                              The younger seedlings have 2 plants with the possible but not quite potato leaves of one of my larger plants and a number of what I think will be carrot leaves. Plus there are two extremely small plants similar to Tiny.

Comment

Small plants in the second batch of seedlings caught up to the others so Tiny remains unique size wise. Tiny has also not produced flower buds and is currently struggling with the illness/bugs I am fighting. I am hoping my new changes will help will that.
                                The first batch of seedlings has produced tomatoes. ALL of the tomatoes were very hairy looking as they developed but you didn't notice the hairs when ripe.
                                Per my notes:
                                15 December 2020 Tasted 4 ripe tomatoes, one each from C3, E4, B6, C5 (125 days since planted)
                                C3 - 20 grams spicey? flavor came from seeds/gel good taste with seeds in thick skin
                                E4 - between 19 and 20 grams scale kept wavering. had 1 green tomato on plant as well as the ripe tomato. Mild big tomato taste.
                                B6 - 16 grams. BLAH thick skin will not move on
                                C5 - 23 grams from a fused blossom, ripened unevenly. WOW! Interesting flavor mustard? steak sauce? salt & pepper? hard to pin down but tasty would be great on a hamburger or in a blt. Flavor was in meat not seed gel.

1 January 2021 Tomato from E6 - 21 grams, mild with peppery/spicy after taste, peppery flavor more noticeable without seeds
                                D1, F6, and A5d have had ripe tomatoes but they were all bland not much memorable about them. They were in the 16 to 20 gram weight range

I have saved seed from all of these whether I liked them or not as there is no telling what the next generation will be like. I found the little K pod coffee filters my husband uses are perfect for seed collecting. The set he currently has have a little paper lid that is attached so I can write id information on the lid then squeeze the seeds into the "cup" portion.

Really good news to me is C5 growing a new set of buds! It as well as E4, B6, F6 and C3 seem less bothered by the fungus gnats and powdery mildew I have been fighting then other plants in my collection. These are regular leaf plants so have more foliage then the carrot leaf which have been hard hit with my problems.
                                I got a thermometer /hydrometer so I can keep a better eye on temps and humidity levels around my plants. And discovered that it was dropping much lower at night then I thought. Thinking the cold could be stressing the plants I have moved them to a warmer section of my room and spread them out a bit more so there is better air movement. Hoping this helps. And yes I have sticky traps out and have used mosquito dunk for the water... I am seeing much fewer flying adult gnats. And wiping off what looks like eggs on the leaves so hopefully I am getting a handle on the problem.

Once I get everything healthy again I will start the seeds I have saved from C5 in hopes that flavor has carried forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X